Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Doing what's best for my body...

As you know...at the end of May I took up the Primal Blueprint eating plan and started getting into heavy lifting.

Eliminating grains made me feel FANTASTIC. At least temporarily...

For the last 6 weeks I've been experiencing insane dizzy spells, most of them were happening at night. One night, while I went to make something to eat I totally fainted in the middle of my kitchen floor. I had absolutely no memory of what happened. Needless to say, it terrified me.

The following day, I visited the doctor who chalked it up to dehydration. Okay, easy fix. Drink more water.

So I did that, the dizzy spells still kept going on.

Then I started to wonder if it was the weed that I smoke at night. Perhaps it was giving me tiny anxiety attacks. So, I stopped that for a while...

Dizzy spells still continued to creep on me.

Then my symptoms got worse. I was getting dizzy in the daytime and waking up with SPLITTING headaches. My head literally felt like it weighed 100 pounds.

I brought this to the LS forums because I was petrified of what was going on. This needed to be taken care of before school started, otherwise studying would have been impossible.

It was then that I realized my diet completely lagged complex carbohydrates for almost four months...and I'm trying a new macro split for the next week to see how I feel.

Before I was doing 45/30/25 (F/P/C) and now I'm doing a more balanced split...higher protein, higher carb, lower fat. My split isn't where I want to be just yet, since that takes good practice to get the hang of it.

I ate sweet potato last night for dinner, and steel cut oats pre workout (which I wasn't a huge fan, I still prefer the simple carbs pre-workout). I'm also making it a point to eat REAL food post workout after my whey shake...even if it means forcing it down my throat.

I'm feeling a lot better in just a matter of 2 days. My head doesn't feel heavy, I feel more focused and I'm a lot less dizzy.

Still not quite sure what exactly was causing the dizziness, but the definitely poor post workout nutrition was part of it.

And honestly, I'm going to keep starchy carbs in my diet...at least until I feel 100%.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the Primal Blueprint...but I'm not a fan of some of the things Sisson suggests like not tracking food and only eating/drinking when hungry/thirsty. Apparently, I do not have those switches...

I'm WAY too active for the 100g of carbs a day crap. It's probably just fine if you follow his fitness plan to a T but I don't. I lift and do HIIT more than he suggests.

It did however open up my eyes to importance of rest, sunlight,sleep and functional fitness...and it's basic principles is something that I've incorporated into my lifestyle.

I'm still avoiding gluten as much as possible..but it's important to listen to your body. If something isn't jiving, figure out what the causes maybe and narrow it down from there. This is still a big learning process for me. Trial and error.

Anyway...here's my workout log.


Deadlift

2 x 105/12

DB Shoulder Press

2 x 30/12

Wide Grip Pull down

2 x 75/12

Lunges

2 x 35/12

Swiss Ball Crunch

2 x 15

Extras:

Plank
1:02 (feet apart)
-44 sec (feet together)
-37 sec (feet together)

Cable Press
30/10
30/9

and I stopped after, it was irritating my left shoulder.

I feel like I'm forgetting something though, I'm working off memory here. My training log is in the car, which I'm entirely too lazy to go get. Bed, you win this time...

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love PB, but it is def. not for everyone. I get headachey now and again too... even on day where my carbs hit 200g. Sometimes I let myself go over a bit because of the intensity with which I trained on a given day. I am one of those people who does great with fasting, eating when hungry, etc. There are a lot of people who just don't do well on lower/low carb diets, ie: Primal Blueprint. Regardless of what you do, I know you're a smart cookie and you are going to be healthy no matter what! Go, Lindsay, Go! :)

    ReplyDelete