Sunday, December 13, 2009

Lack of support from my family

This is the biggest challenge of them all. F' running on a treadmill, or lifting 80 pounds. The exercise part is easy in the grand scheme of things.

But, how do you maintain a healthy lifestyle when those you live with are on a completely different page?

*crickets*

My mom, as of late has been buying an excessive amount of junk food..which she likes to rub in my face.

"Look at what I bought!"

*pulls out bacon, white bread, cinnamon toast crunch, ice cream and peanut butter cookies*

"You can eat this now that you are skinny"

As if losing weight gives you a free pass to stuff face. It doesn't. The weight will just pile back on.

I do not appreciate the condescending remarks about my body either. She is very well aware of my lifestyle change, but as always, likes to make the situation about her.

I do my best to provide my own food: bread, yogurts, fruits, snacks, milk etc. I DO NOT have the financial means to do the bulk of the shopping. If I could, I would.

She makes shit for food choices, and I feel like I'm out of place to say anything. It's her house, she pays the bills. Who am I, her daughter, living there rent free to complain?

I should just eat what I can get, and be thankful for it, right? After all, if I had major bills to pay I wouldn't be in college.

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

5 comments:

  1. Do you guys run off a list? Keep writing specifically what you want.

    Have a heart to heart with her, too. I am contemplating the same for my mom, though its about her health, now that ive semi flown the coop.

    Our moms are from the "finish everything on your plate" era, so they dont have a concept of why health is important. They just worry their babies are getting "too skinny"..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some one had told me that my mom might be interpetting these changes that I'm making like I'm saying she failed me as a mom. Which couldn't be any further from the truth, but she knows she formed my eating habits and all that. I'm sure it's uncomfortable for her. I am starting to see how she comforts me with food. :-/

    Plus, she's has always been supportive, yet discouraging. I blame empty nest syndrome. She needs a dog. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another suggestion.....offer to make dinner once a week - you buy the things you want to make that dinner - the "healthly" things...let her see how wonderful the healthly stuff tastes. Maybe she'll see the difference. Maybe it's a comfort thing with her...I'm not sure how much your mom weighs, but maybe it takes pressure off her if you guys are the same in size? I think you need to introduce her into the healthly things - try the dinner once a week....tell her it's "ON YOU"....let her see how you prepare it, all the healthly stuff you use - OR NOT..then tell her all the healthy things ..... maybe she'll change her mind...it'll probably take baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea Amy!

    And yeah, weight is a huge part of peoples identities, and you guys were once "in it together" for lack of a better term, now youre abandoning her... maybe?

    A lot of what my niece and I do is based on food, but then I'll worry about her weight and health...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I already talked to my mom about letting me cook dinner if I can pick what to eat, she is for it.

    Other than though, no one in my family really gets it. My parents never had weight issues up until they became unemployed a few years back. Otherwise, I have been the only fat one. My mom was always thin in her younger years, so was dad, and my sister. I got the shit end of the stick genetically.

    ReplyDelete