Thursday, January 14, 2010

Personal Training

I had my first session with the trainer today. I went...alright. Not trying to be arrogant, but I felt I had more knowledge than her in terms of nutrition and how a human body functions in general. However, it wasn't a complete waste of time or money...so I'm going to address the pros and cons of my specific situation.

Pros
  • She showed me a few exercises that I normally do on a weight machine with free weights. For example, I could lift 70 pounds do a pectoral fly on the machine. But, with free weights just using 5 pound dumb bells with the same motion is significantly much more challenging. Dumb bells force you to use your stabilizing muscles and focus on your form.
  • Second, I discovered that I absolutely love to lift weights. I'm looking forward to starting on my own.
  • She had corrected my form on my squats and lunges which I was doing all wrong. So yeah, I've been wasting time lol.
Cons
  • I felt we had a personality clash. I found her very quiet, boring and overall unmotivating.
  • She did not provide me with consistent feedback on my form unless I was doing something wrong. Well, for me..I thrive on feedback. I need to know what it is I am doing right as well.
  • She did not give me information as to why I was doing this certain exercises. I kept having to ask her what muscle groups were being used...etc.
  • She didn't really give me information that I could use on my own, which is probably the catch. "Let's be as vague as possible, so they can keep paying us" kind of thing.
I guess personal training is very similar to dating. Can't mesh with everyone. But I did learn a lot...and she did give me a pretty decent work out. :) I'm just beginning to see the importance of working with a knowledgeable staff...probably will be doing some membership shopping when my contract is up.


That is all, folks

No comments:

Post a Comment