Saturday, January 9, 2010

I'm all effed up.

I came to the conclusion yesterday that I am majorly under eating.

Normally, I try to eat between 1,500-1,700 calories...when I should be eating 2,100. I didn't realize how huge calorie cuts ultimately destroy your metabolism. It's no wonder why I lost 40 so quick and hardly see any muscle growth. I have been starving myself for months.

So now, I'm working on increasing my calorie intake by 100 each day...hoping to not shock my system and gain the weight back.

But, something about eating that many calories is still off putting. That is A LOT of food. Yeah, it's easy to do in a meal or two if you eat like crap but majority of my diet consists of whole foods. So, I'm pretty overwhelmed with my meal planning. I think I need to add a shake in there somewhere.

I've picked up the New Rules for Lifting for Women at Border's the other day, easily the best $11 I spent. I'm starting to understand the science behind fat loss, which does a lot to ease the anxiety.

I feel all screwed up though, both my routine and diet are wrong. I'm trying to not beat myself up over it, because fitness is really confusing. I think I've made a lot of strides that past few months. No more lazy lethargic Linz! I'm coughing up the extra dough to have a session with the personal trainer. I need her to show me the ropes of the weight room and get real serious with weight training.

That's another thing. I've x'ed out the running goal of right now. Is running a good goal? Sure, but for what I want to achieve it's pretty much the most useless exercise there is and the most exhausting. Running apparently destroys muscle mass, and isn't great for calorie expenditure as you become better at it (as with any cardio routine, really). Until I get to a good body fat %, I will not be training for a 5k. Afterwards, I can THEN focus on atheletic skills.

But, this isn't to say I can't do a quick 5/10 minute jog to warm up..or interval running...I'm just taking the focus away for running for distance/time/speed. I want to focus on building strength and stability and replacing this fat with some muscle. My goal isn't to become "thin", I just want to be healthy both physically and mentally.

No comments:

Post a Comment